Saturday 7 February 2009

Pyrex Bowls - Design Fault

I began buying stuff for my 'bottom drawer' when I was 15. One of the items purchased was a set of Pyrex dishes: - a Pyrex mixing bowl and three pudding basins, variously 2 pint, 1½ pint and 1 pint. This set accompanied me to college and through various moves, and it is hard to imagine cooking without them. The large mixing bowl and the 1 pint basin have survived 38 years, but recently I've had to replace the other 2 sizes with their nearest metric equivalent. On the original bowls, the Pyrex trademark in the bottom of the bowl is detectable to your fingers only on the outside, leaving the inside of the bowl smooth. This sensible design has been abandoned - on the newest bowl, Pyrex is embossed in the bottom of the basin. I have to ask - what were they thinking? Whisking or stirring with a metal implement now provides a percussion accompaniment to the task and sounds like it may adversely affect the working life of the electric whisk. Then with the risk of sticky substances adhering to the letters, you have to pay particular attention to ensuring that the bowl is fully cleaned after use.

I'm not usually one to stand in the way of progress, but in this instance I have to say that the new design is significantly inferior to the old.



No comments: