Friday 13 August 2010

Stool Makeover


So here it is, the finished job. What you can't see from the photo is the little mistake I made. To remove the seat pad I had to unscrew 6 screws, which I carefully preserved ready to screw it back once it was re-covered. As my staple gun was one of the tools I lost when the allotment shed was burned down by vandals back in December last year, I nipped over to Dave's to borrow his. Only problem was his staples were far too long, so I zipped up to AHC Tools to buy some shorter ones. Whilst I was in the shop, we could see lots of police motorcycle activity outside and one of the shopkeepers explained today is 'Passing Out' day at Sandhurst Royal Military Academy.



Clutching the staple gun and new staples, I exited the shop and went to my car. Where I was parked, I could see a cavalcade of police motorcycles behind me and another one up ahead. It wasn't immediately obvious what I should do ... should I wait in the parked car or use the opportunity of the traffic being stopped to make my getaway ... I chose the getaway and pulled out from the layby. Immediately a policeman zoomed up and motioned me to stop, and then a motorcade of black limousines sped by us towards the Academy. Silly me was so busy watching the policeman, I didn't even think about peering into the limousines to see who was passing by.
Talking of 'passing', I'm told that the 'Passing Out' parade is aptly named, as sometimes one or two will pass out during the course of the day.
Anyway, back to the little mistake ... by the time I got back to Dave's and he helped me staple the new fabric to the wooden base of the seat pad, I'd forgotten to make sure that the screw holes were accessible. Oh well, it seems quite firmly wedged in place, perhaps it won't matter it's not screwed down.






Whilst I was at Dave's, I took the opportunity to photograph the latest stage in the Garden Room construction. It's coming on well, isn't it! Work is going on pause for a few days whilst he enjoys a short break in the South of France. I've agreed to take care of his Senegal parrot whilst he's away.

No comments: