Friday 10 September 2010

Cardiff & The Moody Blues

I'd booked overnight accommodation at a guesthouse 300 metres from St David's Hall (the venue for The Moody Blues concert in Cardiff). When I'd booked it, the landlady had asked me what time I anticipated checking in and I'd said around 2 pm. She explained there was limited free parking in the street outside, on a 'first come, first served' basis. As we were getting ready to go on Friday, I emailed her an updated ETA of 3 pm and received the acknowledgment, 'see you then'.


As we crossed the Severn Bridge, we left the sunshine behind and entered the wet world of Wales. We arrived at 3.15 and were fortunate to find a parking space outside the Guesthouse, which looked across the River Taff to the Millennium Stadium.

Why do we never get an answer
when we're knocking at the door ...



We went to the door and knocked and knocked ... no reply. My friend tried phoning ... no reply. Eventually a couple came out and I took the opportunity to go in whilst my friend stayed with the car (we needed to get a parking permit from the landlady). Inside there was a bell to ring for attention. Still no reply. After a while another guest arrived at the front door and knocked. I let him in and (there being no lounge) we waited together in the hallway for a good twenty minutes. He explained he was an entertainer, booked for a nurses' party nearby, and had been hoping to get his head down for a nap for a couple of hours before his gig. I'm guessing he does John Cleese/Basil Fawlty impressions as there was a strong resemblance. Eventually our landlady arrived, dripping wet and full of apologies - she'd had an unexpected visitor and had to walk her to the station.


My friend and I were glad to get in and use the bathroom before donning our jackets and heading out into the city for a coffee and to collect the tickets from the box office. We walked around a while, enjoying some of the sights, such as this pelican statue, and the family group.























Sign on a shop window:


Laughter is the best cosmetic -grin and wear it!


A bumper sticker:

A still tongue makes for a happy life



The castle. Look, they've hung the flags out!
















After a meal in Wetherspoons, we found our way back to St David's Hall. Having booked late, our seats were dizzyingly high, but the acoustics were good and we had an unimpeded view of the stage.

Besides Graeme Edge, Justin Hayward and John Lodge, there were 4 other musicians: a talented drummer (who also played the flute on one number), a bouncy guy with a large number of keyboards around him, and two gorgeous girls - a platinum blonde playing keyboard and guitar, and a brunette playing flute and guitar. Justin Hayward's voice is as true as ever. It was a fantastic experience, being bathed in the very rich smooth satin sound the group produced.




Each and every heart it seems
Is bounded by a world of dreams ...

… and perhaps in my wildest dreams I might have imagined hearing the Moody Blues play live – in which case this was a dream come true

…and somehow I’ll return again to you

No comments: