Saturday 4 September 2010

Shy Kid Re-emerges

From a very young age through to late teens (or later) I was extremely shy and prone to blushing if addressed directly by someone outside my very small circle of acquaintances. Seems that shy kid is still hiding inside. This morning I visited the Saturday cafe at St Martin's Church, accompanied by my neighbour's 8 year old daughter. An older gent I haven't met before greeted me in unorthodox fashion: "Will you marry me?". It was said with a twinkle and a roguish smile. I could feel the flush burning my cheeks as I struggled to appear cool and poised and find an appropriate response. Sadly no quick-witted retort sprang to my lips.







By contrast, my young friend is extremely feisty. Having learnt my children are grown up and I haven't got any grandchildren, she and her friend have made me their adoptive gran. We went to the Community Fun Day together, and I watched in admiration as she threw herself fully into every experience on offer, asking the firemen if she could climb on the fire engine, scampering up the climbing wall like a monkey and generally giving herself a grand adventure. It was great to see.









Later on I popped round Dave's to see how his garden room construction is getting on - despite the weather, work progresses rapidly.







1 comment:

Frank said...

Next time an elderly geezer asks for your hand in marriage, you could ask him how much money he’s got? With a straight face.