Tuesday 22 May 2007

Puppy Parenting: The fun begins!


It was an early start as puppy classes were being held at a farm near Chichester, followed by a walk and a picnic. Just before I set off, I checked my emails and learned there was a 99% chance I would be able to bring a dog home today. Yesterday's cold front had moved on and left glorious sunshine. The drive down was very pleasant as I managed to choose a route without too many roadworks or traffic jams. I found the farm without too much difficulty and was given a 12 month old golden retriever called Beano to work. His regular handler owned the farm and was in charge of bringing the farm animals into the field so that the dogs could become used to them and learn not to pay any attention to them. That was all old hat to Beano, but he was a bit confused at first to discover that his regular handler wasn't paying HIM any attention. Once he cottoned on to the fact that I was the one giving him rewards for good behaviour he responded well, even coming back to me when I recalled him during his off-lead romping in the corn with the other dogs.

After the walk and picnic, I drove back to the charity headquarters and waited for 'my' dog to arrive from Southampton. Doyle is a handsome 9 month old Retriever x Poodle. He is VERY tall - table height even when sitting. Unfortunately there was a bit of a mix-up in that he arrived without any equipment. Normally all the paraphernalia the dog needs follows him from one placement to another, but all Doyle had was his collar and tags. It took a while for the Puppy Operations Director to locate all the essential equipment, and then Doyle was harnessed safely for the journey home. We arrived at 5 pm - time for his dinner, according to his Transfer Info. Sheet.

I measured it out, mixed it with a little water as per the instructions, then asked Doyle to sit whilst I put the bowl down. He waited obediently until the 'OK' command, ate it with gusto then picked up the bowl when I asked him to 'get it' and handed it to me obediently.

The trainers had impressed upon me that the most important behaviour I should be working on initially is the toileting on cue in the place I designate. After his meal I took him into the garden on the lead, introduced him to the toilet area and gave the command. He sat down and looked at me. I led him out of the toilet area then back in and tried again. Again he sat down and looked at me. I waited, not looking at him - it's supposed to encourage the dog to think, to try and work out what behaviour is required. Doyle whined a little. In the brief chat I'd had with his previous handler, she had commented on this. Toileting has been a bit of a problem area since he was neutered.

Apart from that, he seemed extremely well-mannered and biddable, and a most charming fellow.

When it came to bedtime, he went in his kennel crate without any problem and I gave him a kong stuffed with little bits of chicken to keep him occupied, but once everyone went upstairs to bed and he discovered he was alone, he became very upset, whining and barking. After a while I decided to spend the night on the settee nearby and eventually he did settle down to sleep.

No comments: