Wednesday 23 May 2007

Such a Charmer!


Wednesday 23rd May

'I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me' (Robert Louis Stevenson) ... or not so little, in this case. Doyle seems determined not to let me out of his sight, stretching out at my feet wherever I happen to be working. This bonding will be a very useful attribute in his nature ultimately when he is paired with a disabled partner, but for me it takes some getting used to. Brown eyes gaze soulfully at me when I shut the bathroom door and leave him on the other side, and no matter how long I'm in there, he's lying faithfully in wait for me to emerge.

Meanwhile life goes on. At the allotments the site agent observed recently that I'm running out of space on my starter plot and when an unexpected vacancy came up, she offered me first refusal. The plan is that I will take on an additional half-plot for the rest of the season, then when I've had the benefit of all the crops I've planted on plot 10, I'll give that up in favour of taking on the whole of this new plot (which is in a far more advantageous position). Vic came with Doyle and me to have a look at the new plot, and what a pleasant walk it was. Doyle trotted prettily in between us, tail high. "Oh, what a lovely dog!" we heard from passers by. He smiles at everyone and accepts the attention to the manner born.

No comments: