Friday 25 May 2007

Puppy Parenting: Running Free

Thursday 24 May

A glorious day. After much fumbling, David and I managed to work out how to put the car harness back on (I should have paid more attention when the trainers did it for me on Tuesday when I picked Doyle up). Big as he is, Doyle hasn't yet worked out that he could quite happily manage to jump into the car on his own. At the command 'Car, In', he puts his forefeet up and waits for me to lift his rear end in. The charity's policy is to be ultra-careful not to over-stress the puppy's joints whilst he is young to try and avoid inducing hip dysplasia. He is as good as gold on car journies, settling down quietly.

Fifteen minutes later we arrive at our destination, a wooded recreation area which I guessed would be pretty much deserted today. Sure enough as we walk through the woods, we are completely alone apart from the wildlife. I let Doyle off the lead and give him the 'release' command. Tail up, he trots off happily to investigate all those exciting smells. It is a lovely place to walk with the warm sunlight filtering through the trees, and a warm pine needle smell. Doyle flushes a squirrel and chases it with big gambolling puppy bounces and ears flapping. He is in seventh heaven. I try the recall command, and instantly he's bouncing towards me, tail waving wildly. Excellent - and his reward is a small handful of chicken.

We climb a hill together, and on the way down Doyle pounces on the pine cones that roll away from him, dislodged by his enormous paws. It looks very cute! Unexpectedly as we round a corner, we meet another walker with his dog. Doyle bounds up to greet the new dog, who looks nervous and intimidated by this huge adolescent. I call him and obediently he trots back to my side, to receive another chicken treat.

Thursday evening marks a new experience - Vic and I go out for a meal with some friends, leaving Doyle at home with David. Through the evening my thoughts stray back, wondering how things are at home. The feelings are reminiscent of when the children were young and leaving them with a babysitter for the first time. Of course I needn't have worried, and David is more than equal to the task of keeping Doyle entertained.

Friday 25th May

Today is another milestone in our relationship - Doyle accompanied me to a meeting. I'd arranged in advance that it would be ok to bring him. We were a few minutes late as we got stuck in the lift, but Doyle coped with the experience very well (no doubt consoled by the odd chicken treat he received). Once in the meeting I sat at the table with a cup of coffee and expected Doyle to settle quietly beside me as he does at home, so I was taken aback when he gave voice to a few barks - I wasn't quite sure whether it was to do with me giving my attention to other people rather than him. I frowned at him and told him "No! Quiet" a couple of times, and praised him and rewarded him when he was quiet, and he soon got the message and settled down quietly. What a pro he is!

Postscript

Doyle was with us for a week but during that time I realised that I wasn't coping very well with the additional pressures - particularly the fact that he wouldn't settle at night unless I was close at hand - and so reluctantly I returned him to the charity rather than risk undoing the excellent training he had received to date.

No comments: