Saturday 26 January 2008

Potato Day

From Burns Night to Potato Day - such an exciting life I lead . 'Potato Day?', I hear you asking - go on, don't deny you're riveted by the title of this post. Calm yourself, I'm about to reveal all. A Potato Day is kind of like a Craft Fayre only instead of Crafts, you have the opportunity to buy seed potatoes. There were over 140 varieties of seed potato on sale. I've already placed an order for 3 kg each of Foremost and Saxon with another plotholder, but it seemed an idea to go along to see what it's all about. Do you know it was so exciting that the local news team were there filming as we arrived - I kid you not! We paid our £2 each to get in and wandered round looking at ... well .... potatoes. Oh, and there were some gimmicky copper gardening tools, just to ring the changes, not to mention the onion sets in one corner and the heritage seed swap in another, but mostly it was seed potatoes. I bought 3 tubers each of Estima, Sante, Anoe (Claire), Golden Wonder and Amandine plus a 1kg of Stuttgart Giant onion sets. The tubers were 14p each, and the bag of onions was £1, so in total it cost £3.10 plus the £4 entry, plus the fuel costs, and then of course we stopped for a pub lunch - and I'm thinking that if you add that all up, it comes to very expensive potatoes. However, it's good to try these things or you don't know what you might be missing. Don't think I'll be going next year.

Last night's dancing was extremely energetic - the unfit were falling by the wayside, but us regular dancers were up for (almost) every dance and enjoying the exuberance of it all. The only thing I wasn't keen on was the lone piper in the foyer. In a contained space, bagpipes are decidedly overpowering, and the poor guy was really breaking sweat. Anyway, the good news is the dancing took my mind off the migraine for a while (probably brought on by Thursday's Chinese lunch). Felt a bit fragile when I woke up this morning but I'm trying a mind over body thing of telling myself I gain nothing from being sick. As a kid, illness used to get me out of school a lot when I was going through a bad time of being bullied which may have set the stage for ill-health cutting in whenever I'm feeling double-minded about something. 'A Course in Miracles' talks about the power of the ego and it makes a lot of sense.

No comments: