Tuesday 1 April 2008

April Fool

When I got in from dance class last night, David was watching an episode of Star Trek The Next Generation ('Where no one has gone before'). I sat and watched the ending, where the Traveler talks about his journey and how curiosity prompted him to want to experience the Star Trekker's reality. The theme was the power of thought – which fits in well with my own learning programme. On Sunday evening I prayed aloud at the prayer meeting – a confession of how sometimes I get in a comfortable place where it feels nice and safe, like I know what it's all about – then God breaks into my life afresh and surprises and delights me. Then Monday I learnt that there had been a literal 'break in' in my life (as mentioned in yesterday's blog: an intruder had broken into the old shed over the allotment Sunday night). Patrick (at the allotments – not Patrick Stewart!) had shown me the place where he thinks the intruders climbed over a fence to gain access to the allotments. I was privately amused rather than concerned by the break in – I've occasionally wondered why I lock the old shed anyway. In a way it reminded me of an incident many years ago. I'd given my brother a music cassette for his birthday – I think it may have been an Elton John tape – and he was highly amused when his car was broken into and most of his tapes stolen, that the cassette I'd given him was left on the seat, as though tossed there disdainfully by the thief. "A thief with good taste in music!" he joked.

This morning I woke with the words "Just to let you know there's someone on the other side of the fence" in my mind – as though whispered there by a departing dream. I thought about it in the shower – about what a fence represents; for example, we talk about 'sitting on the fence'. It occurred to me that a fence often defines a boundary, and in doing so, defines the limits of responsibility. I thought about something I've read recently – that if we surrender our life to the Holy Spirit and invite His decisions for every choice we encounter, the paradoxical freedom this brings.

I'm reading through a friend's novel, making comments as I go. It's the sequel to the one I mentioned previously, and so far proving a most enjoyable read with sparkling dialogue. It's set in India, and one of the characters is a young teenage boy, homeless, yet who is far more than his appearance indicates. I liked the author's understanding of how early-life challenge can develop strong character and resourcefulness (something we are inadvertently protecting many of our youngsters from in this society).

Now it's time for part three in the 'Growing in Awareness and Practice' training course, but before I go ... there was an article in today's Telegraph about penguins that fly .... to the Amazon Rain Forest for a summer holiday in the sun, when bad weather sets in! telegraph.co.uk/tvondemand

No comments: