Thursday 3 April 2008

Love or Ego?

I was thinking some more about Tuesday's training session. The trainer wrote 'Projection' on the board and asked us what it is. In that moment, a fairly comprehensive definition of the psychological theory of projection was available to me yet I quelled the impulse to speak, deciding to hold back and listen to other members of the group. An inner voice suggested I not make a show of my learning. I thought some more about that this morning, prompted by one of The Word for Today's set Bible readings:

If a person sins because he does not speak up when he hears a public charge to testify regarding something he has seen or learned about, he will be held responsible. (Leviticus 5:1)

I realised that I had quelled the child in me, the enthusiastic, responsive child that would have enjoyed sharing the knowledge. I realised that in quelling that first, natural impulse to give away what I had received, I had listened not to the spirit of humility but to the ego; had behaved inauthentically!

No need to beat myself up about it, however. The title of today's 'Word for Today' is Redeemed!

Praise the Lord, O my soul;
all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Praise the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits –
who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
(Psalm 103:1-5)

No comments: