Friday 18 June 2010

Concert, favours, synchronicity

Last night I went to see Suzanne Vega in concert at The Anvil in Basingstoke. It was my friend's choice - my knowledge of the music scene isn't as extensive as his and I didn't recognise any of her work. Very talented lyricist with a pretty voice. Suzanne told the story behind many of the songs, which made it more interesting. One about New York being a woman led to a conversation with the audience, explaining that at the previous gig in London, she had asked the audience if London was male or female, and been told 'female' ... then asked how that female would be characterised. Someone retorted that if New York was a woman, London was a whore! She put the same question to Basingstoke - would people of Basingstoke characterise the town as male or female. It seemed the majority agreed 'male' and one lady in the front stalls suggested Basingstoke is a 'conservative pig', which had the audience laughing. Suzanne pretended to find inspiration for a whole new song in this.

Today was a nice day. It began with my accustomed reading/meditation on a lesson from 'A Course in Miracles' on the theme of being led by the Voice for Truth: "I will step back and let Him lead the way". I had an early morning phone call from a friend asking if I could do her a favour, and happily I was already planning to visit the place where she was asking me to go as I had an appointment there, so that was an easy favour to grant.

After the phone call, I took some stuff down the municipal dump and went from there to (son) Dave's house. He wasn't at home, but whilst I was parked outside his house a delivery van arrived with something he'd ordered. I unlocked the garage and the delivery man carefully unloaded the large item, delighted that he wouldn't have to come back again some other time. The timing couldn't have been better. I sent Dave a text letting him know and he phoned back equally delighted.

Later still I went to the allotment and picked a handful of ripe strawberries, then back home I had a super text from (daughter) Vicky letting me know she has been offered the job she interviewed for on Monday and asking if I could help her out with something which again was very easy to grant. We arranged that as she's coming up this way at the weekend to attend an old school friend's party, she'll come to visit on Sunday.

No comments: