Tuesday 9 September 2008

The 'Ugh' Factor


We have two composters down the end of the garden and today as I lifted the lid on one, my finger connected with something hiding under the handle that didn’t feel good. I looked and sure enough, just as I thought, it was a slug. There was a time when something like that would have freaked me out a bit but today I accepted it very matter-of-factly without even a shudder of revulsion. Maybe being de-sensitized to the ‘ugh!' factor of gardening is another positive gain of having taken on an allotment. Speaking of the allotment, I was over there yesterday tidying up one of the strawberry beds along with my companion, the juvenile robin. As you can see from the photos, the red breast feathers are starting to grow in.

Patrick gave me a big bag of ripe tomatoes, Dennis offered me a cucumber (which I turned down on account of having bought one at the weekend), and Ian offered me some dwarf French beans (which I turned down on account of having grown some too). Seems we’re a generous lot, us allotment holders.

No comments: