Thursday 13 November 2008

Songs from a Dome

I was introduced to Leonard Cohen’s music by a Canadian friend when I was 15, and have played it regularly down the years – usually when no one else is around as no one else in my family appreciates that distinctive voice. Vic claims Cohen’s music is depressing! Yes, really! I know, unbelievable, isn’t it?

I had never imagined I would one day get the opportunity to see a live performance. Then earlier this year I read an article explaining that he was going on tour again, after about 15 years away from the stage. A rave review of his opening concert decided matters, and today I was a very lucky girl, getting to see him at the O2 Arena (formerly called The Millennium Dome). I went with a friend and we were up there so early we had time to catch a film beforehand. We settled on Easy Virtue – the film based on a play by Noel Coward. Very amusing – I can recommend it.

After a pleasant meal, it was time for the main feature! I overheard a conversation where somebody was saying the O2 Arena holds 20,000 people – and it wasn’t far off capacity. It seems I’m not so alone after all in my continued enjoyment of the phenomenon that is Leonard Cohen. The sprightly way he skipped on-stage (to rapturous applause) belied his 70+ years. Beginning at 8 pm with a short break of maybe 20 minutes in the middle, he and the band entertained with song after song – the vocals excellent, the music of fantastic quality - right through until around 11.20 pm. I’m not too proud to admit I went to a Roger Whittaker concert a few years ago but I confess I left halfway through that as I found it hard to listen to a voice that to me sounded cracked with age like a face on which the years have drawn a deep signature. I had wondered whether tonight’s concert would be similarly disappointing. I needn’t have worried. Cohen’s voice still has a special power and energy to it, he reaches those low notes with ease and maintains breath magnificently to the end of every phrase. It was a fabulous show!

‘Dance me to the end of Love’ - the opening number - has a lovely lilting melody and rhythm to it. You can watch a video and listen to the song for free if you click here. (Following this link will take you off this blog to the video page of Leonard Cohen’s official website. Scroll down to 'Dance me to the End of Love' and click on the blue HI).

PS Went to see the 2012 tour yesterday, 9th September, at Wembley Arena - another wonderful evening of entertainment.

No comments: