Thursday 14 January 2010

FlashForward - What Did YOU See?

Last year I was an avid follower of FlashForward, the TV series based on a novel by Robert J Sawyer. We had a 'mid-season finale' back before Christmas and sf fans all over the UK eagerly await the resumption of the story.

There was a little coincidence I enjoyed at one point - before the series commenced I bought a 5 disc DVD set of What The Bleep Do We Know, and got around to watching the first disc which happens to describe the 'Two Slits Experiment', so I got a good feeling akin to having done my homework when the experiment was mentioned in FlashForward and I understood the reference.

Meanwhile struggling with impatience to know how the story goes, I got the novel out of the library and read it. I was surprised on different levels - one being that the book was written as long ago as 1999; another that the novel and the TV show are so different. Aspects of the TV series that had grated on me and irritated just weren't there at all in the original novel. The characters in the novel seemed much more sympathetically drawn to me than the key characters invented for the purpose of the TV series. Anyway, some very interesting stuff (although I think I'd need an extended course in quantum physics to be able to fully appreciate the science).

No comments: