Friday 10 October 2008

Bag a Bargain

This fuchsia is in a sheltered spot in the garden and still thinks it's midsummer! I brought it with us from our previous house, which makes it at least 15 years old.


This week I’ve done well with the Recovery Programme: 30 lengths Wednesday, 20 lengths Thursday, supplemented by various sessions on the trampette, not to mention dancing, cycling and walking. Speaking of dancing, my dance partner has suggested that when his work schedule permits, we attend both ‘B’ and ‘C’ classes on Mondays and Thursdays. Ye-ha! and other appropriate noises of jubilation!

Today to celebrate I walked into town to buy a new handbag. Much as I like my current one, it is tedious having to keep searching for keys etc. that have worked through one of the holes in the lining.

Guess what my primary buying consideration was as I stood in front of the display in Primark?
“Will this look good with my outfit”? Nope
“Will this colour go with my shoes”? Nope.
The big question in my mind was, “Will my Bible fit in this?” In the church I belong to it's customary to take along your own Bible to meetings – probably not a factor the handbag designers consider, generally speaking, eh?.

I found one both capacious and stylish enough and discovered it was marked down from £6 to £3 – bargain! I took it to the checkout and paused when the girl asked me for £1. “It says £3 on the label” my conscience pointed out. She smiled and confirmed it was further reduced. Even better! A handbag for £1. You couldn’t buy the materials for that. Perhaps I should have bought the whole stock and given them away as Christmas presents.

As I walked out of the shop, a familiar face greeted me with a megawatt smile. “Hello, how are you?” she asked warmly.
“Very well thanks, how are you?” I returned with equal warmth, my memory struggling with the alternate question: WHO are you? I couldn’t immediately place her. It wasn’t until I was at home that I realised it was the member of Housekeeping staff at the Wingfield Ward I’d shown how to solve Sudoku puzzles. Nice that she recognized me.

No comments: