Thursday 30 October 2008

Psychotherapy Assessment

Attended for the Psychotherapy Assessment appointment. The psychotherapist asked various questions and commented that I’m very good at rationalising away my feelings – so good that I’m not always aware of my feelings.
“That’s the basis of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, isn’t it - changing the thought to change the feelings?” I suggested.
“I’m not going to comment on that” he told me firmly.
Later I noticed that each time I spoke, I was sprinkling the phrase ‘you know’ through everything I said, like a verbal tic. I commented as much, adding that I don’t usually do so.
“You’re looking for validation and I’m not giving it” he responded.
At the end of the interview he said, “I may have seemed critical”, which surprised me as I couldn’t recall him saying anything critical and I hadn’t felt criticised. We’ve made another appointment to meet in November.

No comments: