Saturday 23 August 2008

Barn Dance


There’s always that question when you don’t know somebody very well and you’re invited along to a special celebration – what can you give as a gift. I’ve only known Claire and her husband via the dance classes we’ve been attending for the past couple of years, and so it was very nice to be invited along to a barn dance tonight to celebrate her 50th birthday. I enjoy barn dances! Upon reflection it seemed like a nice idea to present her with a scrapbook of the event. I took along a number of small blank cards and a selection of pens and set up a table at the entrance to the dance hall with a sign inviting guests to write things on the cards that Claire might enjoy reading – maybe shared stories or treasured memories, or simply well wishes. Then I took photos of the guests arriving. Once the dancing began I put the camera away and joined in with enthusiasm and much merriment – it was a fun time.

Later in the week I enjoyed the task of creating the scrapbook, assembling the cards and photos, adding a few quotes about friendship and embellishing the pages.

No comments: