Saturday 30 August 2008

Sharing Abundance

Last night I dropped notes into neighbours’ letterboxes saying there will be free courgettes and copies of courgette recipes on the doorstep this morning and inviting them to help themselves. I’d put them out on the doorstep early then gone back upstairs for my quiet time. One of the Word for Today ‘Bible in a Year’ readings was: Luke 19:11-27 , the ‘Parable of the Ten Minas’ where the servant who has the most to begin with is given even more. Once I’d finished the set readings I turned to the Eckhart Tolle book, ‘A New Earth’ and picked up where I’d left off yesterday. I was reading the passage about abundance (pp 190 – 192) where Tolle recommends we ask ourselves often: “What can I give here; how can I be of service to this person, this situation?”

On my way back downstairs after my reading I had the pleasure of watching through the window two neighbours from different ends of the street standing chatting in the driveway, each clutching a large courgette and a recipe sheet, brought together by my simple act of sharing. I felt a warm glow of satisfaction of having done ‘the right thing’ in sharing the abundance of the allotment produce.

No comments: