Friday 15 August 2008

I need a dream

This week I watched part of a TV programme called ‘The Land of the Jaguar’, and in it there was a man who reminded me of A.H., a Christian I haven’t had contact with since I changed churches. As this man enthused about his subject, the light in his eyes lit his whole face. I thought about him again today, in the context of running. A.H. began running in his 30’s, building up the miles until he was running to and from work, a round trip of about 26 miles. His artistic daughter designed him a t-shirt depicting him fleeing from Death. Remembering that today, I find myself wondering if she had read the Discworld novels and encountered the character Rincewind.

I’ve been thinking I need to create myself a Recovery Plan – to spring-clean my life, get rid of the clutter and accumulation of bad habits. Confirmation of that came in a marketing email from which I quote:
I hope that you are all finding ways to reduce stress and take advantage of the tremendous opportunity we now have to release the patterns that no longer serve us and begin to truly manifest a better dream.

Since I’ve come home from The Ridgewood, I’ve been far less motivated to maintain the exercise regimen I set myself there. At my Discharge meeting this Wednesday, I spoke of how I’ve had a low mood, and been less motivated to do even the things that I normally enjoy. The psychiatrist pointed out that it wasn’t to be unexpected, having just undergone an operation under general anaesthetic. Fair comment, I guess. Nonetheless, I think it will help me feel my life has some direction if I devise a suitable plan, scheduling some little treats and rewards for goals attained along the way. I’ll let you know how it goes.

No comments: