Wednesday 17 March 2010

Dream Job

So far I've been invited for interviews for jobs that deep down I didn't really want but today I attended an interview for a dream job - one that when I read the job description and the person specification, I felt was tailor-made for me. I was asked to arrive for 9 am on the understanding that all candidates would be interviewed in the order of arrival. I anticipated the traffic would be terrible at that time of day, clashing with school runs and so on. Imagine my delight when I sailed through with no hold-ups, arriving in a nifty 21 minutes. I parked up and enjoyed the golden sunshine - the day was looking perfect!

As I'd allowed an hour to get there (you can tell how bad I anticipated the traffic to be!), I was really, really early, so the parking place I chose was not too close. I sat in the car for a while. Finally I decided it was time to make a move. Not a moment too soon, as it wasn't immediately obvious which building I was supposed to go to and I wasted some time going to the main reception only to discover the interview room was across the site, a few minutes walk away.

The receptionist took my name, noted my time of arrival and pointed me to a group of couches where 3 other candidates were already waiting. Another lady arrived after me, and the 5 of us chatted a little, taking the opportunity to size each other up. One of the candidates, the only male, was already employed by the organisation, and getting this job would mean a step up for him.

Whilst I was waiting, I picked up a booklet which listed all the super training opportunities the organisation offered staff for key skills development. Even if I hadn't wanted the job before, that little booklet really sold me on it!

The interview panel was two very pleasant ladies, and I found myself enjoying the interview. Mostly I felt I answered the questions well, apart from one. I was asked what it was that made me apply for the job. I'd already explained my reasons in the application form and for some reason I didn't like to repeat them. Did I say I thought the job was tailor-made for me? These two smiling ladies didn't get to hear that, unfortunately. Instead I found myself waffling about when I was an undergraduate. I could sense I wasn't giving what was wanted, but I didn't quite know how to retrieve the moment. Still, I came out of the interview feeling quite buoyant.

I was told that they had 4 more candidates to see in the afternoon, that I had already done extremely well to have been short-listed out of so many applicants, and that I would receive a phone call at 6.30 pm to let me know if I had been successful.

A friend came round and waited with me. 6.30 pm came ... and the clock ticked on, and the phone stayed silent. My friend pointed out that with 9 candidates to call, they couldn't all be called dead on 6.30 pm. I replied that if it were me doing the calling, I would ring the successful candidates (I should explain there were 2 positions, one permanent, one a temporary 12 month contract) first, in case one of them then turned the job offer down. I wasn't altogether surprised when finally at around 7 pm, I learned I had been unsuccessful. Apparently I was 3rd equal. Should I be consoled by that, do you think? Of course it was my failure to offer any real reason why I was enthusiastic about the position that had let me down - that was the answer I had 'scored less than average' on.

And to cap it all, I've got a large spot come out on my nose and another on my chin. Hey, ain't life grand, folks?

No comments: