Friday 12 March 2010

The Gas Man Cometh

The gas mains are being renewed all round the estate and yesterday an 'andsome Irish feller knocked at me door and asked if 'e and 'is mate could pop along early this marning, loik. I said to be sure that'd be foin, me good man. What he didn't tell me was that they were going to turn off the gas for the day and change the meter. So with no heating all day and the weather being a bit on the cold side with the windows open to let the smell of gas escape, I was very glad to see another workman come back around 3 pm to fit the new meter and get the gas back on. Just in time to warm the house up a bit for the arrival of my guests. With Mother's Day coming this Sunday, I invited the little girl next door and her friend to come round after school today for a craft session. Fortuitously I'd managed to get a cake baked this morning before the gas was cut off - normally I sandwich two together to make one large cake but this time I sliced each one to make two cakes, with cream and raspberry jam in the middle and melted chocolate on top. We made some white glace icing and the girls tried their hands at writing 'Mummy' on the cakes and decorating with stars and hearts.

Then we settled down to the business of making cards. They had a great time - I've got a nice photo of the two of them with their cards, but I'm going to check with their mums first if it's ok to put it on the blog. Here's the cards they made.

No comments: