Saturday 13 March 2010

'With or without you'

Little did I anticipate when I woke this morning that by 1.30 pm I'd be sitting alone aboard the Red Falcon on my way from Southampton to the Isle of Wight.


One of life's little adventures.

It began almost immediately after I'd swung my legs out of bed with the sound of my mobile phone announcing a text message received. It was from a friend who works in IT as a field engineer. He had a call to attend on the Isle of Wight, and would I like to go along for the ride? I considered the alternative (wash the kitchen floor; change the sheets; do the weekly shop; do some work over the allotment) and looked out at the promising start to the day - decision made.

Recognising that I might be alone and responsible for entertaining myself whilst he was working, I packed a bag with some essentials: book; pen; notebook; glasses; water; mobile phone; money; camera. We arrived at the docks in plenty of time to catch the noon car ferry only to learn that the parts for the call were still en route and unlikely to arrive before 1.30 pm. It gave us some time to find a busy little cafe and have some lunch.

Back to the docks to discover the next departure was 1.30. My friend realised he wouldn't be able to receive the parts and be on board in time, and the next car ferry wasn't until 3 pm. His carefully planned day was beginning to come apart. At that point I spotted the timetable for the high speed passenger ferry (23 minutes, leaving at 1.45 pm). I suggested one of us board the 1.30 ferry with the car and the other wait for the parts and take the passenger ferry ... so there you have it - me on board the car ferry with an automatic car I'm not used to driving.

On the journey down to the docks my friend and I had had a lively discussion during which he had voiced the view that women were less logical thinkers than men. As his boat sped past mine, (photo above) I sent him a smug text: "So you'll concede women are sometimes clear, rational, logical thinkers? :D

At the customer's premises, I left him busy with the kit and took myself and my book off to this grassy knoll where I sat for a while enjoying the warm sunshine and John Cleese's take on 'Life and how to survive it'.

No comments: