Wednesday 7 April 2010

Interview

I was the first interviewee and the panel (3 worthy ladies) was still settling itself in and getting comfortable. I'd phoned the day before to clarify whether there would be any equipment set up to do a PowerPoint presentation and been told there wouldn't, so I'd lugged the laptop along, only to discover that they'd had a change of heart and had set up a laptop, projector and screen. Nonetheless I set up my laptop on their table and did the show from there, as that was what I was geared up to do. I was thrown a little when one member of the panel invited me to give them a presentation on "Why I want the job" ... as this bore no resemblance to the title I'd been given. What a relief to receive the confirmation that the presentation I'd researched so thoroughly was actually on the right topic! Phew!

The next difficult point to negotiate was that the letter hadn't given a time-limit, it had merely said 'you will be asked to give a short presentation'. Before I began the slide-show, I explained it would last about 10 minutes, was that ok? The lady Chairman looked a little put out and told me the letter had said 5 minutes - fortunately I had the letter with me and was able to refer to it and offer as a point of information that it hadn't stated a specific time.

Normally I'm fairly cool calm and collected for interviews but on this occasion I think I may have come across a bit like a rabbit caught in headlights, struggling with some of the questions. I do think I'd be competent in the job, I believe it is well within my capabilities and I think I'd enjoy it, but I suppose because I felt I'd not got off on the right foot from the beginning, I was finding it difficult to shake off that soggy start and leave them with a good impression. Oh well - the decision is out of my hands now. I consoled myself with a real 'comfort-eating' meal, home-made Shepherds Pie served with steamed broccoli, leeks and fine green beans. It did the trick - I feel comforted.

No comments: