Friday 9 April 2010

Welcome Summer Weather

I made the most of yesterday's sunshine by getting the potatoes and climbing bean plants in and sowing two rows of parsnip seeds. Whilst I was over the allotment I received a call to my mobile. A couple of weeks ago I interviewed for a secretarial position at a small company, and it was the director letting me know my application was unsuccessful. Once again I received some very positive feedback - my CV was great and laid out well, etc. etc. - it's just the fact I've not been in paid employment for three years now and being a small company they weren't quite willing to take a chance on me, but they will keep my details on file in case their appointee fails to perform to expectation.

Today I went down the gym. It's been a while.

The gym has a large car park: a few spaces immediately alongside near the front entrance, many more at the back of the building. Years ago you could use the back door to enter the building from the rear car park but these days that door is out of general use with a big sign on it "No Exit! This door is alarmed". If you park in the rear car park, you've a walk of about 100m, maybe a little more, to the front entrance.

So I'm going to the gym. I'm going there to get some exercise. Where do I want to park? Well, in one of those spaces near the entrance of course, to save myself the 100 metre walk. But hey, I'm not alone! Some people are so keen to save themselves that extra walk that they'll abandon the car on the pavement rather than drive round the back and park in a legitimate space. Now where is the logic in this? It's the sort of human foible I can imagine Michael Mcintyre poking fun at.

Ok, today I drive past all those illegally parked cars feeling a little smug because I'm going to do the logical thing and ENJOY that 100 metre walk in the glorious sunshine. Aren't I the smart one!

Once you've gone in the main entrance, you then walk all the way through the building to the back where the members' changing rooms are located. The ladies' changing room has lockers round three sides, two cloakroom/changing benches in the middle and a mirror and shelf along one wall with three hairdryers.

I don't know what it's like in the gents' changing room - in my mind's eye, I picture men strutting round naked all but doing Mr Universe poses and wearing signs round their necks proudly pointing down at their tackle - but on the whole, us ladies tend to be a modest lot. In fact one acquaintance who came with me for her first visit last year took one look at the communal changing room and never set foot in it again! Normally you'll find we're fully dressed when standing at the mirrors drying our hair - hence my surprise today to find a scene like a lingerie advert: a very shapely lady drying her beautiful long dark hair wearing only sexy red underwear. I suppose if I had her figure (and underwear!), I might feel inclined to expose myself too.

Back home the postman brought yet another rejection letter. The jobhunt continues.

No comments: