Friday 2 April 2010

Procrastinating


I've heard it referred to as 'sharpening pencils' - that activity which appears to be related to preparation for the main task but which, in reality, is procrastination. So I've had plenty of time to prepare a presentation for my forthcoming interview and I've put in many hours sitting at the computer 'doing research' and jotting notes without really achieving very much. When you read books on how to write, it would appear that aspiring writers tend to live in households where if nothing else, the pencils are sharp and ready for use.
This morning I was dutifully sitting at the computer not achieving very much. There was a ring at the doorbell - I wasn't expecting visitors but hey, it was an excuse to move away from the computer and my failure to produce a winning presentation. At the door was one of the little girls who came to the Mother's Day card craft session a couple of weeks ago, holding a bouquet of beautiful carnations and a box of chocolates. Quelle bonne surprise!
I've been invited round for lunch at a friend's today - it was a spontaneous invitation yesterday and I haven't had a chance to go shopping and buy a hostess gift, so I have a little confession - rather than eat the chocolates, I'm going to present them to my friend.

No comments: