Saturday 9 February 2008

Make Hay while the Sun Shines

Too early for hay, but I've certainly been making the most of this gorgeous sunshine the past couple of days. For a few weeks I've been on a 'go slow' over the allotment, and it was good to get a bit of a prod from June yesterday who rang and suggested we meet over there. It was very pleasant working in the unseasonal warmth with the radio playing softly nearby. Reception is clear over the allotments and I can pick up Premier and UCB Christian radio. Reminds me of a song from my teen years: Get in touch with God, turn your radio on.

I was clearing some of the weeds from the other half of my new plot, the half I took over at the beginning of this year. I'd walked over there, then June took me home with her and gave me a cup of coffee before I walked home again. Vic commented that my hair and clothes smelt delightfully fresh, just like washing hung on the line. Who needs expensive perfume?

Today I've spent most of the day at the allotment and with Brian's help, put in three new blackcurrant bushes and carried on with the general weeding and tidying. I arrived home as a lady was walking her dog past the house. She asked me whether we or our neighbours had had our oak trees lopped last year, because from her house she could see something metallic glinting and was concerned the tree surgeon had left his long-handled saw up there. I explained it was part of a CB radio mast and told her the story, how we had come home one day to discover David (aged around 13) had climbed up the tree and installed his 20 foot long aerial up there, maybe 50 foot off the ground! Tell you what, he got good radio reception then! Luckily when the top section broke off in a storm one night, it didn't spear anyone below. It had dug itself into the ground like a javelin.

No comments: