Monday 25 February 2008

Sunday/Monday

If you are new to this journal – welcome! (I would encourage you to leave a comment – click on the comment box below). Sometimes the things I write about here will be trivial, other times I'll let you take a peek through the windows of my soul.

On the subject of trivia, we had home-made mushroom soup, tuna salad with potato and parsnip mash and experimental gluten-free blueberry rock cakes for lunch on Sunday. Come the evening, we both had the most foul smelling flatulence. I blamed it on the mushroom soup and would have thrown the rest away, but Vic ate the remainder with relish next day, chuckling gleefully at the idea of sharing the after effects with his colleagues at work. Men are such naughty little boys at heart, don't you think? He seemed mildly disappointed to report no wind – must have been something in the combination of foods, I guess.

The Sunday morning service was very powerful. Pete H_ offered three simple points. He began with the title 'Leading or Distracting?', inviting us to consider were we leading people in the right direction or offering distraction. I'll write more about the service on another blog – email me if you would like the link – but the point relevant to this blog is he encouraged us to risk looking stupid by inviting people to come and meet with Jesus. The church is looking to put up a new building on its home plot and with this in mind, I walked into town and set up a new standing order with the bank. A cashier in training served me, and when she had finished, I handed over some invitations to the special guest service on Easter Sunday when we'll be handing out free Easter eggs.

I've been thinking about how God can use money as a form of guidance. It began with thinking about 'the Temple tax'. My charitable giving hasn't included a regular donation to church since I gave up work and left the Anglican church. When the plans for the new building were put before us, I really wanted to respond. The next day I received notification in the post that my benefits would be increased and felt it seemed like an answer to my desire to respond to the Church's venture of faith.

No comments: